If you are in love with the best PSP games then you need to look no further then this post!
PSP or PlayStation Portable is the first handheld console released by Sony at about the same time as Nintendo DS.
This Sony handheld was released in 2004 for the Japanese market and 2005 for the North American market.
The good thing about PSP is that at the time, it is the best handheld that can output the graphics similar to PS2 graphics, which was far superior to the Nintendo DS in terms of the graphical output.
Related: Best Android Strategy Games, Best DS Emulators For PC
All Best PSP Games Ranked
Here are the 20 best PSP games that you can play on this handheld console:
Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories
Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories is among the original GTA titles that are released for the PlayStation Portable platform.
It was released in 2005 for the North American and the European market before it was ported for the PS2 console in 2006.
It still features the same gameplay as the previous GTA games such as Vice City and San Andreas, allowing you to roam the game world freely and complete various main and side missions.
- It has the same open-world gameplay that allows you to roam the Liberty City areas freely.
- It is one of the original GTA games made for the Sony PSP console, allowing you to play this game on the go.
- It has the story that acts as the prequel to Grand Theft Auto III.
- It allows you to add your own custom soundtracks to the game.
- It can also be played in various other platforms, such as PS2, iOS, Android, and FireOS.
Official website: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/grand-theft-auto-liberty-city-stories-psp/
Jeanne d’Arc is one of the exclusive games released for the PlayStation Portable in the tactical role-playing game genre.
It was released in 2006 for the Japanese market and 2007 for the US market.
This Japanese-style RPG takes the storyline from the history of Joan of Arc, which was the resistance hero during the occupation of the Englishmen on France.
It has some historical accuracies in the storyline, mixed with various fantasy elements added to the game.
- It’s a colorful fantasy RPG with refreshing gameplay elements not found in similar Japanese-style role-playing games.
- It is an exclusive game published by Sony Computer Entertainment for the PSP console.
- It retains some forms of accuracy in the storyline regarding Joan of Arc.
- It is a tactical RPG where it gives you lots of time to strategize your moves in order to win the battles.
- Lots of interesting characters and lots of fantasy elements are found in this game.
Official website: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/jeanne-darc-psp/
Ys Seven is the seventh installment of the long-running Ys video game series, which was exclusively released on the PSP console in 2009 (Japan) and 2010 (North America).
However, later on, this game was also released for the Microsoft Windows platform in 2017 for the worldwide market.
This game still retains the same gameplay elements as the previous Ys titles, but with some improvements.
It follows the story of Adoi and Dogi in their effort to find more adventures to experience.
- It features an improvement in the battle system where weapon types matter for your character’s attack power.
- It features beautiful musical soundtracks throughout the game.
- It is an action RPG that offers a unique combat system that is both fun and enjoyable.
- You can have three characters in your party, with you controlling one of them.
- Lots of skills are available for you to use and learn.
Official website: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/ys-seven-psp/
Secret Agent Clank
Secret Agent Clank is a platforming game released for the PlayStation Portable in 2008, which features the adventure of Clank (one of the main characters in the Ratchet and Clank series) as a secret agent.
It gives you the side story for the Ratchet and Clank series wherein you control Clank as the main character.
In this game, Clank has the ability to not only solve puzzles, but he also has the ability to fight enemies and transform his size to destroy them.
A PS2 version of the game was later released in 2010.
- You can play the game fully as Clank from the Ratchet and Clank series.
- Clank can transform his size to beat the robots that are trying to kill him.
- It offers exciting action and platforming gameplay that tells the side story of Clank from the main Ratchet and Clank series.
- There are also interactive rhythmic sessions that offer rhythmic-style gameplay during the sneaking process.
- There are lots of weapons and gadgets to use throughout your missions.
Official website: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/secret-agent-clank-psp/
Killzone: Liberation is a shooting game developed by Guerilla Games and published by Sony Computer Entertainment for the PlayStation Portable.
It is the direct sequel to the first Killzone game, and it is also an exclusive game only available on the PSP console.
It was released in 2006. Compared to the first Killzone game, Killzone: Liberation features a different type of gameplay.
Instead of being a first-person shooter game, this game offers the top-down shoot ‘em up gameplay with isometric camera view.
- It offers a refreshing gameplay style when compared to the first Killzone game.
- It is a direct sequel to the first Killzone game, providing you the continuation of the story from the previous game.
- It is an exclusive game available only for the PlayStation Portable console.
- You can play through the 5-chapter main story campaign.
- There are lots of vehicles you can control and lots of upgradable weapons to use.
Official website: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/killzone-liberation-psp/
Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep
Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep is an action RPG from Square Enix that features the mix of characters from Square Enix games and Disney.
It is the sixth title from the Kingdom Hearts series that was released in 2010.
This title serves as the prequel of the original Kingdom Hearts title, which features three new characters: Ventus, Aqua, and Terra.
The gameplay is similar to the other Kingdom Hearts titles.
In this game, you will play through the story of each character.
- It is originally released as an exclusive game for the PSP console.
- It allows you to play through the different character’s storyline to uncover the whole story.
- You can meet various popular Disney characters in this game, with their own stories to tell.
- The gameplay is similar to the gameplay featured in other Kingdom Hearts titles.
- It is also available for PS3 and PS4 as a high definition remaster of the game, along with other titles bundled together.
Official website: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/kingdom-hearts-birth-by-sleep-psp/
Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy
Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy is a fighting game from Square Enix that features various characters from the Final Fantasy series.
This game was released on the PSP console in 2011, and it is available exclusively for this handheld console.
This game acts as the prequel of Dissidia Final Fantasy, and it is also considered a remake to the game, as it gives the players some side stories related to the main event in the original Dissidia Final Fantasy.
You can choose any Final Fantasy character in this game to fight other characters in different battle maps.
- There are many Final Fantasy characters available to choose from up until Final Fantasy XIII.
- There are lots of battle maps that you can choose, which are taken mostly from the Final Fantasy series.
- You can progress through the Story Mode, or you can have some VS Mode battles.
- It features a unique fighting system not available in other similar fighting games.
- It gives you better graphics and richer story when compared to the original Dissidia Final Fantasy.
Official website: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/dissidia-012-duodecim-final-fantasy-psp/
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 Portable
Persona 3 is a Japanese-style RPG that was originally released for the PS2 console, but the portable version of it was released for the PSP console.
The Persona 3 Portable is the port of the original PS2 version, with various enhancements and new features that are available only on the handheld version of the game.
It was released in 2009 (Japan) and 2010 (North America).
This game is part of the popular Persona franchise created by Atlus.
- This port offers a better overall game than the original Persona 3 game released for the PS2 console.
- It features a revised battle system, which was later used in the battle system of Persona 4.
- Various original cut-scenes are enhanced in this game.
- This game allows the players to play as a female character, with various aspects of the gameplay changed to conform with this update.
- The Social Link stories are also enhanced with the addition of the female protagonist option.
Official website: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/shin-megami-tensei-persona-3-portable-psp/
Patapon 3 is one of the exclusive games released by Sony Computer Entertainment for the PlayStation Portable console.
It is the third installment of the Patapon series, which is a rhythm game with unique gameplay elements.
As far as the gameplay goes, Patapon 3 still follows the gameplay style of the previous Patapon titles.
When compared to the previous titles, Patapon 3 features more detailed backgrounds and smoother animations.
- It offers a unique rhythm game for the PSP console, which is unlike the other rhythm games available in the market at the time.
- It continues the story of the previous Patapon title.
- It features new barracks, new shops, and many others not available in previous titles.
- It offers a similar gameplay style as the previous titles, making the players feel immediately familiar with it.
- It has a new storyline featuring graphical and musical enhancements from its predecessors.
Official website: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/patapon-3-psp/
God of War: Ghost of Sparta
God of War: Ghost of Sparta is an action adventure game featuring Kratos, which is set at the time after the events that happened in the first God of War game.
The gameplay is still similar to the gameplay of the previous games in the series.
This game was first released on the PSP console in 2010, and it was later released for the PS3 console as well, in the form of bundled titles or collection.
This game features an intense action combat gameplay along with platforming and puzzle elements infused within it.
- It features the similar gameplay elements as the previous titles.
- It is a mix of combo-based action, platforming, and puzzle.
- The story is set in the events after the first God of War game.
- It has impressive graphics for a handheld game, which stay true to the overall quality of the God of War franchise.
- It is an exclusive game to the PSP console, which is later ported to the PS3 as well.
Official website: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/god-of-war-ghost-of-sparta-psp/
If you want to find the best puzzle game on PSP, you might want to try the Lumines series.
Lumines II is the sequel of the original Lumines game, which is Lumines: Puzzle Fusion.
In Lumines II, you can still play in the same way as the original game, but the sequel adds a few new game modes and different music selection.
It was released exclusively for the PSP console in 2006 (North America) and 2007 (Japan).
- There are some new modes being added from the original title, namely Skin Mode, Mission Mode, and Sequencer.
- It has a better song selection when compared to the predecessor.
- It is exclusively available for the PSP console.
- It features a fun puzzle game that still has the similar gameplay as the previous game.
- It is considered the best puzzle game for the PSP system.
Official website: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/lumines-ii-psp/
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
Metal Gear Solid series is one of the most popular stealth action adventure game franchise available on the market today.
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker is the seventh Metal Gear Solid game released for the PSP system in 2010.
It was later ported to the PS3 and Xbox 360 consoles as the HD Collection bundle.
This game sets place in Costa Rica 1974, where you play as Snake, an ex-soldier that runs the mercenary unit called Soldiers without Borders.
- It is one of the best games available for the PlayStation Portable system.
- The gameplay still stays true to the gameplay available in the main Metal Gear Solid series.
- You can wear four primary types of uniforms, such as Jungle Fatigues, Naked, Sneaking Suit, and Battle Dress.
- You can have access to the Mother Base, where you can prepare for your missions and do various things related to your mercenary soldiers.
- It has the unique style of cut-scenes similar to an interactive graphics novel style.
Official website: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/metal-gear-solid-peace-walker-psp/
Following the success of Sony’s new IP for the PS3 console, LittleBigPlanet (released in 2008), Sony released the PSP version of this game in 2009.
This is the game that offers almost the same thing as the PS3 version, but with the addition of the new story mode.
With its unique platforming style, the PSP version of the game offers the continuation of the story from the PS3 console version.
In this game, you will play as Sackboy, the main character from this franchise, which is taking the vacation around the world.
- You will play the continuation story of Sackboy from the PS3 version of the game.
- It adds a new story mode that is not available in the first game.
- It offers the same platforming elements as the PS3 version of the game.
- You can download various DLC content, whether paid or free, from this game.
- It is one of the best exclusive PlayStation games that you can play on the PSP system.
Official website: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/littlebigplanet-psp/
Wipeout Pure is the sixth installment of the Wipeout series that has been around since the days of the first PlayStation console.
Wipeout Pure was released in 2005 for the PlayStation Portable system, which still offers the same type of gameplay familiar to this racing series.
It is set in the futuristic world where you will drive ultra-modern vehicles across various tracks.
You can power up your vehicle and attack other vehicles throughout the race.
- It offers the same gameplay elements as the previous Wipeout games.
- It features high quality and impressive graphics and art designs.
- There are 8 racer teams that you can choose in the game, each having their own vehicles.
- The DLC for this game is available, which offers new artworks, tracks, and vehicles that you can download for free.
- It features nice soundtracks that give you a nice boost in each racing session.
Official website: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/wipeout-pure-psp/
Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions
Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions is an improved version of the original Final Fantasy Tactics that was released on the PS1 console in 1997.
The War of the Lions was released for the PlayStation Portable system in 2007, featuring better graphics, new cut-scenes, and many other features.
It was later ported for iOS and Android in 2011 and 2015, respectively.
This game is among the Final Fantasy game titles that is set upon the fictional world called Ivalice.
- It adds various new improvements when compared to the original Final Fantasy Tactics released on PS1.
- It is among the FF games that is set upon the world of Ivalice, which is the same world as Final Fantasy XII.
- It offers hundreds of hours of exciting tactical RPG gameplay for the players.
- This game features 22 different jobs that you can have for your characters.
- It features a permanent death feature where you can’t revive your characters once they took heavy damage and died in battle.
Official website: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/final-fantasy-tactics-the-war-of-the-lions-psp/
Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles
Back in 1993, Konami released a Castlevania title for the PC Engine CD system, which was called Castlevania: Rondo of Blood.
At the time, Rondo of Blood was released only in Japan.
However, the game was a big success in Japan, and many fans wanted to have this game ported to the US region.
Unfortunately, Konami didn’t do it. Fast forward to 2007, Konami released the remake of Rondo of Blood exclusively for the PSP handheld, titled Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles.
This game packs a lot of features not available in the original Rondo of Blood title.
- It is the 2.5D remake of the Rondo of Blood released in the PC Engine CD system.
- It features the original Rondo of Blood with Japanese and English voices.
- It also features the sequel of Rondo of Blood, which is Symphony of the Night, as an unlockable secret.
- It adds the Bosh Rush mode.
- You can play as Maria in the included Symphony of the Night port.
Official website: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/castlevania-the-dracula-x-chronicles-psp/
Daxter is the accompanying character in the PlayStation exclusive games Jak and Daxter series.
Now, Daxter is featured as the main character in the PSP game console titled Daxter.
This game was released in 2006 as the exclusive game for the PlayStation Portable, featuring the action adventure story of Daxter during the 2-year skip that was told in the Jak and Daxter II opening cutscene.
- You can control Daxter as the main character in this game.
- You are taking the adventure during the time Jak was imprisoned.
- It was one of the best exclusive games for PlayStation Portable.
- There are various bonus games you can play, which are called Dream Sequences.
- You can get various new attack abilities throughout the game.
Official website: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/daxter-psp/
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky is a Japanese-style RPG first released in 2006 on the PSP console for the Japanese market, before being released in the US in 2011.
It is part of the Legend of Heroes series, as well as the first game in the Trails in the Sky trilogy.
Before the game was ported for the PSP, it was released for the Japanese market in 2004 on the Microsoft Windows platform.
- This is a text-heavy game with a deep storyline for RPG fans.
- It features the grid system and the turn-based combat that allows you to strategize your every move.
- It is the first game in the Trails in the Sky trilogy.
- It is well-received by critics and became one of the best RPG on the PSP console.
- It features an interesting combat, music, writing, and narratives.
Official website: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/the-legend-of-heroes-trails-in-the-sky-psp/
Pursuit Force: Extreme Justice
Pursuit Force: Extreme Justice is an exclusive PlayStation Portable game that combines racing, combat, and shooter elements together in one game.
It was released in 2007 for the Europe and Australian market, and in 2008 for the US market.
The gameplay is unique as you will hop from one vehicle to the next vehicle, while defeating or shooting your enemies along the way.
It is a fast-paced action game with arcade-style gameplay that is both interesting and amusing to play.
- It offers a unique type of gameplay, a combination of racing, combat, and shooter.
- It has a fast-paced gameplay that is fun to play.
- It acts as the sequel to the original Pursuit Force.
- There are various missions that you can complete in this game.
- There are new features being added from the original game, such as mid-level checkpoints, unlockable cheat, new vehicles, and more.
Official website: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/pursuit-force-extreme-justice-psp/
Burnout: Legends is the Burnout game released for the PSP and the Nintendo DS consoles in 2005.
The PSP version features better graphics when compared to its Nintendo DS counterpart.
The game features various tracks, vehicles, and modes that are similar to the ones available in the previous Burnout games, which are adapted for handheld play.
- There are 9 game modes that you can play in this game.
- It is one of the best Burnout games you can play on the PSP console.
- The gameplay is similar to Burnout 3: Takedown.
- There are 95 cars that you can drive on this game.
- The PSP version of this game features Collector’s cars.
Official website: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/burnout-legends-psp/
These are the best games that you can play on your PSP console right now.
As a result, this handheld sold really well, and it was well-received by gamers worldwide.
Throughout its lifespan, Sony has sold more than 82 million PSP devices worldwide.
Later on, this handheld was discontinued in 2014.
There are many great games that you can find on PlayStation Portable.
Most of the games are developed and published by well-known video game publishers and developers.
Not only that, Sony also supported this device fully throughout its lifespan, providing many exclusive titles for it throughout the years.
The good thing about PSP is that not only it is designed to play PSP games, it is also designed to do other things.
For instance, it is backward compatible with PSOne games, meaning that you can play PSOne games on your PSP handheld console via digital download.
You can also play movies, music, view pictures, and do many other things.
If you own this handheld console and would like to play some games that can give you the full experience on this handheld, you can take a look at this list.
Now that PSP is no longer being updated with new games, these games can be a good selection for your game library if you still love playing on the PlayStation Portable handheld.
Of course, there are still many best PSP games games that you should play as well.
But, you can always start with the ones mentioned in this list. Happy gaming!
Related: Best Android Strategy Games, Best DS Emulators For PC